Building Your Personal Brand
As we reflect through the exciting last quarter of 2016, I want to take this opportunity to share yet another interesting insight from our various leadership interventions this year – Something that can act as the special ingredient for your leadership soupJ
Whatever we do, in life or leadership – we all get branded. Even a simple movement or gesture by our bodies can create a positive or negative impression to others. The words we use have an impact on who we are, the way we act can influence others perception of us, and the list can go on! What we need to realize, is that our brand, which is our special touch, has several layers that when properly leveraged can help us bridge the gap between merit and success.
We had the opportunity to lead a session on Building Your Personal Brand, for the LeanIn Chapter in Singapore. Interestingly we also launched our very successful Empowering Women into Leadership program in Singapore, where one of the crucial dimension was Executive Presence .
What the participants and leaders said about the session was :
- Our approach to this topic was an eye-opener on multiple levels – Physical, Emotional and Cognitive
- We clearly did not focus on the marketing and advertising lens which is usually the conventional approach to personal branding
As you move ahead on your leadership journey, we felt it fruitful to share with you our simple yet powerful approach to Building Your Personal Brand so we can help you bridge the gap between your merit and your success.
The Foundation for our Personal Brand is our Body. If our body is the fulcrum for our brand, we need to give it a more holistic care – How are we building on our Strength, Endurance, Flexibility, Balance and Agility to create the impact of our physical presence? These five elements should help build our Executive Presence through our body postures, gestures and strength; Executive Endurance through our tenacity to stretch; Mental Flexibility through our embracive approaches; Emotional Balance through our assertive responses, thereby leading to the net result of our cognitive dexterity.
Once we have a reasonably good consciously nurtured foundation, we have now earned the right to raise some strong pillars for our brand – How do we look? How do we Sound? How do we Act? Our pillars should help us address the yin-yang of our Presence – which is the physical and psychological aspects of how we create a lasting impression on people we interact with.
Continuously working on our foundation and pillars, can then accelerate and multiply our brand value. The specific accelerators that we need to consciously weave through our presence are the components of:
- Value – Are you connecting with people at the Values level?
- Knowledge – Is your knowledge a mix of intellectual, emotional and EXECUTION quotient?
- Credibility – Are you building your credibility by consistently practicing Self-Trust?
If we want to multiply the impact of our brand, we need to consciously build and leverage our personal and social networks?
- How are we consciously building our network that taps into our emotional maturity and also one that acts as a lever for our impact and growth?
- Are we consciously focusing on our social presence – which helps us showcase our thought leadership and diversity – not just in the areas of our work, but something that aligns to our life purpose and passion?
My intent to share this structure to build your brand presence, is based on the fact that increasingly through our various training and coaching interactions we come across some fantastic leaders with passion and drive – the one simple ingredient that can make them more successful and impactful is their Executive Presence!